Tuesday 25 October 2011

Zanzibar, you kill me

Never has a place so entranced and so confounded me. I'm going to write just a quick post because the power keeps going out. I'll write something longer and post tomorrow to thank you all for doggedly following this blog. I visited the last place where slaves were officially sold and it was right beside a building that now houses a thriving farm co-operative. How perfect is that? I met a man today who didn't have a place to live so he built himself a hut from wood he found and woven coconut leaves. He goes to school and studies by candlelight, when he has candles. And he uses a small solar array to charge his cell phone. Priceless.

Here's me on a beach in Jambiani on the east coast of the island, on my birthday. The Indian Ocean was turquoise and warm. The sand was silky white. I'll tell you more about my new best friends real soon.

stay tuned and pray for power
Lisa



1 comment:

  1. Lucy is hugging me because I am crying. I am so proud of you my dear friend and so amazed at the pictures you paint that remind me of the beauty of life and the tenacity of human beings. Mwah. Missing you like crazy but so happy for your tremendous opportunity. Much love. Nad

    ReplyDelete